USGA Handicap System (pre-2020): Following the National Revision Schedule, a player’s Handicap Index® is updated on the 1st and 15th of each month.
Rule Change for 2020: A player’s Handicap Index will update daily, provided that the player submitted a score the day before. On days where the player does not submit a score, no update will take place.
Reasons for Change:
- To provide players with a more responsive and up-to-date Handicap Index.
- Under the current system, a newly submitted score may have to wait up to two weeks before it’s factored into the player’s Handicap Index calculation.
- To streamline the process of establishing a Handicap Index.
- After a player submits their third acceptable 18-hole score (made up of any combination of 9-hole and 18-hole rounds), they will be issued a Handicap Index the next day.
- To encourage players to submit scores as soon as practicable, preferably before midnight on the day of play.
- Since the Playing Conditions Calculation will use scores submitted at a course each day, it is crucial that scores are posted on the same day of play.