BANGOR – The fourth of five qualifiers for the 2022 Maine Amateur Championship took place at Bangor Municipal GC yesterday, and 18 players advanced to the championship proper next month. Brent Barker (Kebo Valley GC) and Nathaniel Mugford (Barren View GC) led all scorers on the day, carding 72 (+1) to earn co-medalist honors.
The cut at the qualifier was 76 at Bangor, the lowest score thus far through all qualifiers. Eight players were tied on 76 for the 18th and final spot in the Amateur, resulting in an 8-for-1 playoff. Starting on Bangor’s 10th hole for the playoff, four players advanced with pars on the first playoff hole. On the second playoff hole, the par-3 11th, Zachary Fenton (Barren View GC) hit his tee shot inside ten feet. His ensuing stress-free par was good enough to advance from the eight-man playoff.
Also notable among qualifiers at Bangor was Jack Quinn (Augusta CC), who shot 74 to advance. Quinn is only 13-years old, and will be the youngest competitor in the Amateur next month. Additionally, Jon and Kyle Nicholson shot matching 75s to earn the father/son duo from Kebo Valley two spots in the field.
With qualifiers at Bridgton Highlands, Biddeford-Saco, Brunswick, and Bangor now in the books, the field for next month’s Amateur at Webhannet is nearly full. Only 18 spots in the championship remain, and will be filled next Wednesday with the final qualifier taking place at Dutch Elm GC.
ONLINE: Maine Amateur Qualifying Scoring
Advancing from the Bangor Municipal qualifier:
- Brent Barker, 72 (Kebo Valley GC)
- Nathaniel Mugford, 72 (Barren View GC)
- Vance Gray, 73 (Penobscot Valley CC)
- Adam Metzler, 73 (Mars Hill CC)
- Thomas Hanscom, 73 (Penobscot Valley CC)
- Mitchell Tarrio, 73 (Augusta CC)
- Ryan Carr, 73 (Sanford CC)
- Wyatt Foster, 73 (Barnes Brook GC)
- Michael Rankin, 74 (Augusta CC)
- Christopher Kauppila, 74 (Hidden Meadows GC)
- Jack Quinn, 74 (Augusta CC)
- Max Woodman, 74 (Barnes Brook GC)
- Jon Nicholson, 75 (Kebo Valley GC)
- Austin Sousa, 75 (Samoset Resort)
- Dakota Batchelder, 75 (Barnes Brook GC)
- Michael Vanadestine, 75 (Barnes Brook GC)
- Kyle Nicholson, 75 (Kebo Valley GC)
- Zachary Fenton, 76* (Barren View GC) *advanced on 2nd playoff hole