SACO – The second of five Maine Amateur Championship qualifiers took place at Biddeford-Saco CC today, and after a marathon day, 17 players booked their tickets to the Amateur at Webhannet in July. After starting at 8:00 a.m., play was delayed for two hours starting at 10:30 a.m., and once play resumed, a four-for-two playoff ensued for the final spots.
Home club member Armand Ouellette led all scorers on the day, shooting a round of 70 (-1) to earn medalist honors. Playing early and in the heaviest of rains, the 19-year old from Saco made only one bogey on the day against two birdies to post the only red number from the field of 74. Finishing second was Jeff Golojuch (Deep Brook GC) with 72, followed by Joe Gildart (Val Halla GC) and Dylan Rodrigue (Fox Ridge GC) on 74.
The playoff fell at 77 at today’s qualifier, with four players vying for the final two spots. Jim Quentin (Biddeford-Saco CC) advanced on the third playoff hole, and Ron Dery (Biddeford-Saco CC) grabbed the final spot on the 6th playoff hole.
The shot of the day belonged to Steven Hickey (Old Marsh CC), who aced the par-3 15th hole. His ace with a pitching wedge from 148 was the first of his career.
Qualifying is just getting going, with two more events slated for next week. Maine Golf will head to Brunswick GC on June 14 and Bangor Municipal GC on June 16, where the field will get closer to being finalized for the Amateur. The final qualifier is at Dutch Elm GC on June 22.
Advancing from Qualifier #2 at Biddeford-Saco CC:
- Armand Ouellette, 70 (Biddeford-Saco CC)
- Jeff Golojuch, 72 (Deep Brook GC)
- Joe Gildart, 74 (Val Halla GC)
- Dylan Rodrigue, 74 (Fox Ridge GC)
- Tucker Buteau, 75 (Willowdale GC)
- James Line, 75 (Cape Arundel GC)
- Gregory Kalagias, 75 (Biddeford-Saco CC)
- Jason Straetz, 75 (Biddeford-Saco CC)
- Eric Angis, 75 (Brunswick GC)
- Tyler Baker, 76 (Portland CC)
- Todd Kirn, 76 (Webhannet GC)
- Thomas Carr, 76 (York G&TC)
- Mike Collette, 76 (Biddeford-Saco CC)
- Brett Kapteina, 76 (Falmouth CC)
- Zack Luce, 76 (Willowdale CC)
- Jim Quentin, 77 (Biddeford-Saco CC) *advanced on 3rd playoff hole
- Ronald Dery, 77 (Biddeford-Saco CC) *advanced on 6th playoff hole