BRIDGTON – The first of five qualifiers for the 2022 Maine Amateur Championship took place at Bridgton Highlands CC today, and ten players booked their tickets to the championship at Webhannet GC on July 12-14. Paul Wiggin (Waterville CC) and Ryan Wingard (The Woodlands Club) led all scorers with rounds of 73, earning medalist honors on the day. In all, ten players from the 47 player field advanced to the 103rd Maine Amateur in July.
The cut for today’s event fell at 78, with three players tied on that number for the final spot. New to the Amateur qualifiers in 2022 is the introduction of playoffs for the final spot(s) in the championship proper, replacing a match of cards to break ties. Today at Bridgton three players finished on 78, and the playoff went to Bridgton’s first hole. Joe Walp (Portland CC) parred the first hole to grab the tenth and final spot from the qualifier.
The next qualifier is on Thursday, June 9, at Biddeford-Saco CC, where the second of five qualifiers will take place and 17 more players will earn a spot in the Amateur.
Qualifiers from Bridgton Highlands CC:
- (73) Paul Wiggin, Waterville CC
- (73) Ryan Wingard, The Woodlands Club
- (74) Neil Suchecki, Nonesuch River GC
- (74) Jon Hardy, Samoset Resort
- (74) Lucas Roop, Biddeford-Saco CC
- (77) AJ Simokaitis, Maine Golf Center Freeport
- (77) Dylan Burton, Spring Meadows GC
- (77) Hunter Smith, Waterville CC
- (77) Ted Stratman, Martindale CC
- (78) Joe Walp, Portland CC