CAPE ELIZABETH — Maine Golf is pleased to be hosting the 61st Maine Senior Amateur Championship at Purpoodock Club on August 23-24, 2022. Purpoodock is a private club in Cape Elizabeth that opened for play in 1922 and is celebrating its centennial this year. It has hosted numerous Maine Golf championship events over the years, including four previous Senior Amateur Championships.
Last year’s Maine Senior Amateur Championship was held at Natanis GC and was won by Biddeford’s Mike O’Brien. O’Brien, who plays out of Biddeford-Saco CC, shot rounds of 74-73—147 (+3) to win his first Senior Amateur title, beating runners-up Len Cole and Mike Doucette by four strokes. “OB” will be joined by Paul Pelletier (2004), Jim Quinn (2009), Jim Van Fleet (2013), Ron Dery (2016), Len Cole (2018), and Dan Falcone (2020) as the only former champions in the field in this year’s tournament.
The Maine Senior Amateur Championship is a 36-hole stroke play competition that is open to Maine residents aged 55 and older who are members of Maine Golf clubs. The tournament will begin on Tuesday, August 23 starting at 7:30 a.m.
In addition to naming an overall champion, the tournament will also feature winners of different flights based on age. Additionally, the top six finishers and ties will earn a berth in the 2022 Senior Match Play Invitational, to be played at Prouts Neck on September .
- The field is comprised of 126 players representing 45 different golf clubs from across the state of Maine.
- Host course Purpoodock Club has the most participants of any golf course in Maine, with 18 members teeing it up this week. Biddeford-Saco CC is next with 12 participants, followed by Dutch Elm GC and Penobscot Valley CC with 8, and Martindale CC with 5.
- Twelve of Maine’s 16 counties have at least one player in the field.
- The oldest player in the field is 76-year old Truman Libby. He’ll be joined by 11 youngsters at age 55 who will be making their debut in the Senior Amateur this year. The average age for the field is 62.6.
- The average Handicap Index for the field is 6.9.
The field is made up of 126 players from the following 45 golf clubs, with the number of players from that club in parentheses: Augusta (4), Bangor Municipal (3), Barnes Brook (2), Bath (1), Belgrade Lakes (1), Biddeford-Saco (12), Bridgton Highlands (1), Brunswick (3), Cape Arundel (4), Cape Neddick (1), Dutch Elm (8), Falmouth (3), Fogg Brook (1), Fox Ridge (1), Goose River (1), Great Chebeague (1), Island (1), JATO Highlands (1), Lake Kezar (2), Lakewood (1), Maine Golf Center Freeport (1), Martindale (5), Megunticook (1), Nonesuch River (2), Norway (2), Old Marsh (1), Penobscot Valley (8), Poland Spring (1), Portland (4), Presque Isle (1), Purpoodock (18), Riverside (4), South Portland (2), Spring Meadows (2), Springbrook (4), Toddy Brook (1), Turner Highlands (1), Val Halla (3), Wawenock (1), Webhannet (2), Western View (1), Willowdale (3), Wilson Lake (2), The Woodlands (1), and York (1).
The tournament consists of 126 players competing in 36 holes of stroke play. The course will play as a par 71 and will measure around 6,000 yards for the championship.
Schedule of Events:
Tuesday, August 23: Tee times from 7:30 a.m. to 2:20 p.m. off the first tee
Wednesday, August 24: Tee times from 7:30 a.m. to 2:20 p.m. off the first tee
In the event of a tie after 36 holes, the overall winner will be decided immediately by a hole-by-hole playoff.